Sunday, November 13, 2011
Friday's design time
It was a glorious time together on Friday. We started by remembering why each of us was there (on a holiday) together. I don't remember everyone's reason, but mine was because this, the SUSTAIN community, is my life. I am not sure if I could continue without working with these people (Remember I tend towards the dramatic). I expect that I am giving you all too much credit, and I think if it wasn't SUSTAIN, there would be other engaging work, but this is truly life-giving for me.
I did take notes at the end and I am not sure where to record these, so here they are:
1) The first week or two might look different than week 2 through 9. During the first week we want to
- spend sometime on capacity building for team success
- have structured face-to-face time so faculty can set the culture in their courses
- have students encounter the projects
- discuss sustainability (we thought of this afterwards)
2) in weeks 2 through 9, we want to start each week with a "checkin" at the beginning of the week and a "check-out" at the end of the week. We have this scheduled for 1 hour blocks, but this could be flexible.
3) We want to have some time set aside for faculty to meet as a group or in triads to plan the weeks ahead. This should occur both inside and outside our blocks of time (M-R 4-6, F 1-4)
4) We haven't developed it yet, but we want to have a general framework for class time. We want to make sure we have a feedback system so we can be flexible
5) we recognize the need to engage community members and students in this whole design process, but haven't discussed how to do that
6) We are committed to the "student prep model" that Linda and Pete are using this quarter in physics and we are committed to supporting that. (it looks something like: Students prepare (watch video or do learning modules or read)-----> students work on something independently -----> students come to class for help and coaching -------> assessment)
7) we don't want to dramatically increase faculty time in class. If we each are to be in class 4 hours with one or two office hours, we want to attempt to honor that.
8) We will try to incorporate portfolios into our work
9) we need to schedule at least two more (3 hour) group meetings before Winter quarter begins.